ROOTS THAT TELL STORIES...
Casa dos Lagares is a family-run business that has been linked to wine and vineyards for several generations. It has always been located in Cheires, in the Douro Region, framed within a strong historical and cultural determinism.
In the seventeenth century, a primogeniture was established, a house (with a turret that still exists), a chapel (dating from 1659) and other structures were built. These buildings created a farm and the current village of Cheires. It is the starting point in this story.
Initially the growing of fruits, cereals, and horticulture, was the main function of the farm. Its goal was to supply other production units located closer to the Douro River and began to specialize in the production of wine, requiring food to support the growing agricultural workforce. These were the early days of the production of Port Wine.